Saturday, December 6, 2014

A Few Odds and Ends....and a pretty Christmas Wreath



Someone told me I was due for another blog, so here you go. I aint got nothin cool to say, but read it anyway foos. Just do it.

First things first, I was semi-productive last week, creating a wreath to hang from my front door. Granted, I a. didn't have enough candy canes to make the full wreath and b. still have yet to get a hanger thing for the door and actually hang this UP, but it's here when I get to it. Which better be soon since our lease ends in 9 days.

Anyway, here's the wreath. Abbey and I each made one, and we were short two candy canes each to make a full wreath. Instead, we each made a cute stamp design and hung it to fill the empty space. (Oh, and if you are my true friend and liked my facebook page, www.facebook.com/camdencollection, you've already seen this. If not, you're a terrible person, go like my page immediately.)

Cammie's Wreath:                                                   Abbey's Wreath:          


What you need:
20 candy canes (in our case, 18)
Washi tape, any color/design you'd like (the blog we used just used clear tape, but you could see it reflecting and we thought that was lame. so we turned it into a decoration piece instead)
2 Cardboard pieces cut into circles
Stamps, markers, or other decoration along with a piece of cardstock to cover up your ugly cardboard pieces
A glue gun AND E-6000 or other heavy-duty bonding glue

Step 1: cut out your cardboard circles- I used my largest Sizzix scallop circle, I think it's about 3.5 inches in diameter, but basically you just want it to be large enough for you to attach your candy cane ends to with ease. You'll need two circles- one for the bottom, one for the top

Step 2: Attach your candy canes together, back to back, with washi tape- twist it around 1-2 times, making sure the canes lie flat.  You can see that Abbey tied hers low on the canes, I did mine higher- we found that after the whole thing was done and dried, it didn't seem to make a difference at all, although I found when moving mine before it was completely bonded, that the higher up seemed more stable at the time. When you're done you should have either 9 (18 total) or 10 (20 total) pairs.

Step 3: Arrange the pairs around in a circle, around your cardboard piece, very tips touching, making sure that all the canes end within the cardboard piece. You should have a bunch of hearts formed between each set. Then, going around the circle, attach your canes to the cardboard piece with your glue gun. I applied the glue and then pressed for 10-15 second to make sure it bonded completely before moving on. Once the canes are all attached to the bottom piece, it will feel very fragile- don't try to pick it up yet! Push it off to the side and let it dry while you make your decorative piece.

Step 4: Taking your cardstock that is cut out the same size as your cardboard circle, add any stamps, stickers, or writing you would like to make your greeting- you can see Abbey's is a stamp that says "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year," while I left mine as just "december 25" and used holiday numbered washi tape to accent it.

Step 5: If you used 20 candy canes, skip to step 6. If you used 18, stay here. You will have a nice gaping hole at the bottom of your wreath. This is where you can really get creative- either add another papercraft, like we did, or you could hang a light ornament, bells, etc- just remember it can't be too heavy. Go ahead and create that piece now, and attach a ribbon to your piece for hanging.

Step 6: Using your E-6000 or other super heavy duty bonding glue, attach your second piece of cardboard to the TOP of your candy canes, lining it up with the bottom piece. I found I had to hold my piece down for 3-4 minutes, applying even pressure, after I applied the glue- the first time it didn't stick at all and I had to really get in there and make sure it stuck.

Step 7 for 20 caners: Using your glue gun or any other adhesive, attach your pretty stamped piece atop your ugly cardboard piece. You should not see any cardboard at this point, just your pretty picture and the pretty unglued portions of your candy canes.

Step 7 for 18 caners: Using your glue gun or any other adhesive, first attach your hanging item to the cardboard piece by gluing ribbon to the cardboard that's been strung through your piece. On Abbey's we actually strung it through an eyelet, but on mine i just taped the ribbon to the back of my snowman because I was lazy. Either way works as long as both sides are attached and it's hanging where you want it. Then, glue your pretty stamped piece on top of that so that the ugly ribbon and cardboard pieces are covered.  You should not see any cardboard at this point, just your pretty pictures and the pretty unglued portions of your candy canes.

Step 8: Let dry COMPLETELY for 24 hours and don't play with it, it will be fragile at this point! Once completely dry, it will be sturdy and ready for hanging!! Abbey just used a 3M hook and a ponytail holder, so hang any way you'd like-


There you have it! A super cute diy wreath that cost us all of maybe $2 to make. Thanks Pinterest pinner blogger person I can't find now for the original idea!!

*********

Second of all, I've officially changed the name of my crafting company that will probably never actual sell anything on Etsy or anywhere else. I am now Snail Mail Papercrafts (again, if you're my real friend, you already know this from my facebook page). Snail mail just brings instant images of getting a pretty, homemade card in the mail- the good ol' days of our childhood. I'm aiming to get this feeling back with handmade notecards, non-printable party games and decorations, etc. Plus now I can use a cute little snail for my logo :)

*********

Third of all, I HATE PACKING.
*********

Fourth of all, I'm hoping my next blog entry for you will be from Texas :) stay tuned for an entry in early January!

*********

Oh, special shout out to my pal Dalilah- she's been nothing but the best through this whole Texas ordeal and I wouldn't have made it through without her! AND she liked my facebook page without even being told- take a note, supposed "friends." I can see you.

I hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas and Happy New Year! 
Go make a wreath following my non-illustrated, horrible instructions and tell me how it went :) 

Cammie OUT!













No comments:

Post a Comment